Wednesday, September 9, 2015

With Hermana Obando in the rain
January 26, 2015

Hey fam! 
I´m doing well here in Juan Lacaze and I´m loving my "hija" (that´s what we all call our trainees here).  I don´t have much time, so I am just going to attach what I wrote to president this week because it basically sums up everything. 
I love you all and thank you for being the best fam ever.  You have no idea how grateful I am for all of you!!!:):):)
Hermana Dixon

So it´s been another great week! Hermana Obando and I have definitely faced some challenges and had some crazy experiences in our area, but we´ve also seen so many miracles. On Wednesday, Hermana Obando and I had a day full of rejection. I can honestly say that during my eight months or so in the mission, it was the most rejection-filled day I have ever experienced! Every person we said "hola" to diverted their eyes or walked into their houses. Lots of members we´ve been working with weren´t home or were busy. As we walked by houses in the nighttime, people closed their windows and doors in order to avoid us. At one point during the night, we were looking at our map outside of a house and the woman who lived in the house came outside just to tell us that she didn´t want us to talk to her. And last but not least, we went to visit a reference and let´s just say it was very evident that she did not want us to be there. But you know what? I felt at peace because I had an awesome companion by my side and we honestly did our best. The next morning before studies, I just prayed and prayed that I could find a scripture to help me and Hermana Obando understand why we have days like this past Wednesday during our missions. And guess what I found? Alma 26...the perfect chapter for missionaries who have faced rejection. 

In this chapter, Ammon begins by writing about the success and joy he and his brothers experienced throughout their missions. In verse 4, he talks about how thousands of the people they were teaching, the Lamanites, had been "brought into the fold of God." Seems like Ammon had it pretty easy, no? But as I continued reading, I realized that Ammon too had difficulties and tests of faith before he found success. In verse 28, Ammon says, "And now behold, we have come, and been forth amongst them (the Lamanites) and we have been patient in our sufferings, and we have suffered every privation; yea, we have traveled from house to house, relying upon the mercies of the world—not upon the mercies of the world alone but upon the mercies of God." 

He continues in verse 29, "And we have entered into their houses and taught them, and we have taught them in their streets; yea, and we have taught them upon their hills; and we have also entered into their temples and their synagogues and taught them; and we have been cast out, and mocked, and spit upon, and smote upon our cheeks; and we have been stoned, and taken and bound with strong cords, and cast into prison; and through the power and wisdom of God we have been delivered again." Okay so Hermana Obando and I didn´t even experience a hundredth part of Ammon´s trials, but after Wednesday, I really felt like I could relate to Ammon and his brothers. We too were cast out and mocked at! Sometimes missionary work is flat out hard, but God always delivers us.

And last but not least, I just loved verse 30! Ammon says, "And we have suffered all manner of afflictions, and all this, that perhaps we might be the means of saving some soul; and we supposed that our joy would be full if perhaps we could be the means of saving some." So yeah, I learned that as missionaries, we sometimes suffer "all manner of afflictions" in order to save SOME SOUL. 

This past Friday, two days after our crazy Wednesday, Alba, an investigator I´ve been working with for quite some time (I´ve taught her with Hermana Paredes, Hermana Ventura, AND Hermana Obando) had her interview for her baptism. She went into her interview feeling unsure if she was ready to take such a big step, but came out with feelings of peace and happiness that getting baptized was the right decision for her! She will be getting baptized this Saturday, January 31. We just love her! Sweet Alba is our SOME SOUL that we fought for during this week.

 I am so grateful for this time of my mission. Hermana Obando is incredible and SO STRONG. Little by little, we are seeing progress! And God always gives us what’s necessary to keep moving forward. 

No comments:

Post a Comment