August 26, 2014
So yesterday I didn’t write because it was August 25, Uruguay’s day of independence! There weren’t any computer places open, so we cut our P-Day short and are writing today! For this week’s letter, I am going to write 25 things I’ve learned on my mission in Uruguay thus far!
1) Mate (hope I spelled that right--look it up on wikipedia) is not just a drink. It is a way of life.
2) Rain MUST always be accompanied with torta fritas and hot milk.
3) When Uruguayans ask if you want more food, it’s not actually a question. No matter what your answer is, they give you MORE food!
4) If you want to make someone feel loved, call them mi hija (aka my daughter), preciosura (my precious), or mi amor (my love). All the ladies here call us that and it is SO SWEET!
5) It is actually not that traumatizing to step in dog poop. I’ve probably done it about twenty times or something.
6) Words have a gender. (Who knew el and la were such a big deal?)
7) Uruguayans are honestly the most OPEN people. We ask them their names and how they’re doing and they tell us all about their lives. It is so cool to be able to learn about people from halfway across the world!
8) Mold really is not that scary.
9) When in doubt, wear a scarf! People here are genuinely concerned for our health when we don’t wear scarves in this humidity!
10) There are good people all over the world (especially in Uruguay)!
11) Uruguayans love their families just as much as I love mine.
12) The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints operates the same wherever you are.
13) It is good to be generous (I am in awe of how generous Uruguayans are).
14) Missionary work is all about spreading seeds. Sometimes, we may not see the fruits of our labors right away, but we know we’re doing our job when we’re doing our best.
15) It’s okay to feel weak and accept the help of others. Man oh man, I have felt so weak at times, but it has been a beautiful opportunity to learn and accept guidance from Hermana McMurray!
16) The Book of Mormon truly is the word of God. Whenever life has been rough on the mission, reading the Book of Mormon has been a place of refuge for me.
17) The members of the Church here are INCREDIBLE. They serve their fellow ward members with all their hearts and it is inspiring.
18) Reading Liahonas is so fun! The words of general authorities really can help us!
19) The beautiful scenery in Uruguay helps me enjoy every day!
20) Every missionary is incredible in his/her own way. It is so cool to see how every missionary has little quirks and how God uses these quirks!
21) It is important to give other people the benefit of the doubt.
22) One of the best ways to bond with Uruguayans and people in general is to LAUGH with them!
23) Stress is like a rocking chair. You can rock, but it won’t get you anywhere.
24) Heavenly Father hears prayers, no matter what language they’re in.
25) Jesús Christ lives and loves EVERYONE! Especially Uruguayans! His atonement can heal us and beautify our lives.
Anyway, I’ve got to go, but I love you all! Hasta próximo semana!!!