Thursday, August 21, 2014

"Your Wonderful Journey Home"

August 18, 2014

Hola familia!  

How’s everyone doing?  So not going to lie, it’s been a bit of a difficult week here in Fray Bentos.  We’ve still been struggling with helping our investigators progress, we’ve had a hard time teaching lessons because no one was really home, we’ve been losing a lot of proselyting time (which I will explain later on), and we’ve had challenges finding members to go out with.  Even church was very stressful yesterday (which I will also explain later on).  But you know what???  Life is still good, and I am glad for every part of this crazy journey, even if it’s hard.  One talk I’ve absolutely loved reading on my mission when I feel down is “Your Wonderful Journey Home,” by President Uchtdorf (https://www.lds.org/general-conference/2013/04/your-wonderful-journey-home?lang=eng).  He talks about our journey here on earth, but I think it applies really well to missionaries because we are going through mini journeys every day!  I especially love this little quote (before, he talks about leaving our heavenly home):  "The journey ahead seemed so long and uncertain--so filled with risk.  It wouldn’t be easy, but you knew it was worth every effort.  So there you stood on the edge of eternity, looking forward with unspeakable excitement and hope--and I imagine, also with a degree of worry and fear.  In the end, you knew God would be just--that His goodness would triumph.  You had participated in the great heavenly councils and knew that your Savior and Redeemer, Jesus Christ, would provide a way for you to be cleansed from sin and rescued from physical death. You had faith that, in the end, you would rejoice and join your voice with a heavenly chorus singing praises to His holy name.  And so, you took a deep breath...and a great step forward...and here you are!  You have, each one of you, embarked on your own wonderful journey back to your heavenly home!"

Okay so that quote wasn’t little at all, but I love it!  You can bet this week has been a hard journey, but it’s been worth it.  So here’s the lowdown...in about four weeks, we are doing three firesides within our zone!  The missionaries are in charge and we’ll be doing lots of musical numbers, so we have two practices every week from eight in the morning until four in the afternoon!  And as for church yesterday, woah.  It started out with a ward council where everyone kind of got angry at each other.  And then, Hermana McMurray and I got pulled out of Relief Society because some members in our ward wanted to have a meeting with all of the missionaries because we’ve been having some difficulties finding members to come with us.  The meeting started out okay, but as time went on, a member in our ward began giving us suggestions as to how we can be better missionaries. But let’s just say it wasn’t really constructive criticism...he pointed out many things we’re doing wrong one after another.  Hermana McMurray and I were a little shaken up after that, so she asked if I could play the piano in church.  I started playing the introduction for the opening hymn, and then I realized I couldn’t play it.  So I turned to Hermana McMurray in the congregation and said, “Hermana could you please play?”  She handled it like a champ and played, but oh my goodness gracious SO EMBARRASSING!  And then, I had to go up and announce the fireside and I forgot to say where and what time. Man it was a rough day for me but I survived and learned lots! Like I should probably practice piano on P-Days!  

But anyway, lots of good things have happened this week too! Once again, tons of less active members came and were so happy to be back at church!  Yay!  Also, we had some awesome street contacts. Another yay!  I got to see a beautiful garden in Hermano Molina’s backyard, a member we’re working on reactivating.  And last, I am just so grateful for Hermana McMurray!

I love you all and I hope you’re doing great!

Hermana Dixon  

Oh and P.S. This week, I had heard a member’s mom was going to move.  We were teaching this member a lesson, so I was like, "Is your mom moving?"  And I guess I pronounced it wrong because he thought I said, "Is your mom dying?" Ayayay.  But don’t worry, everyone had a good laugh.

No comments:

Post a Comment