Wednesday, August 6, 2014

I Think I'm Falling in Love . . .

"[S]uper swollen and purple" finger

July 21, 2014

Hola familia! 

First and foremost, thank you for all the tips.  I got teary eyed while reading through them because it is amazing to have such a supportive family at home.  Thank you for giving such thoughtful answers, and I will do my best to apply them!  I am happy to let everyone know this week was BETTER!  I am nowhere close to being comfortable, but slowly but surely, things are getting better!  Yay!  This is the first week where I’ve actually started to fall in love with Uruguay and the people here.  Little by little, we’ve been seeing some miracles!  We’ve started teaching a really cute family (a mom, a dad, an eighteen-month-old baby named Dillon, and a baby on the way)!  We found them on the street one day, and we’ve been visiting them a lot since.  They live in a one-room house and Hermana McMurray and I have to share a chair when we teach them, but I love it.  My whole leg fell asleep one lesson because I was leaning on it so I wouldn’t fall off the chair, but it’s all good.  Anyway, since they are a new family, they (especially the dad) are super open to everything we’re teaching!  We invited them to come to church and they didn’t end up coming yesterday, but we are still so excited! 

Okay, now I’m just going to write bullet points of things I love about Uruguay and some funny things that have happened!

·         I love the rain here.  Sometimes it kind of stinks because when it rains, it POURS, but it’s kind of fun to dodge puddles and look out into the flooded streets.

·         The little kids here are so cute and are hoots!  This little boy in our ward is super aggressive, but it’s funny.  One day when we were eating at his family’s house he threw a chewed-up orange piece at me and yesterday during ward council he reached up and scratched my face with a wooden block, but it’s all good!

·         We played basketball last P-Day, and I jammed my finger.  I didn’t think very much of it, but the next day, my finger was super swollen and purple.  I will have to send you a picture sometime soon!

·         Everyone here wears Crocs and I love it.

·         I love looking up every night at the sky and seeing the stars!

·         I love how generous people are here!!!  I have never had so much torta (cake) and hot cocoa in my life because whenever we visit people, they love giving us little treats.

·         I just realized the other day I am the first new sister missionary my ward has ever had!  They love that I don’t know Spanish very well and joke around with me a lot.  It probably should bother me a little bit, but I just think it’s funny!

·         I have been making a lot of sweet treats these days!  We give treats to ward members when they go out with us and to investigators or to random street contacts.  

·         I love how much members of the Church here love the Lord!  

I have to go, but I love you all so much.  Once again, thank you for the advice!!!  This is by far the hardest thing I have ever done, but I know hard things are always worth it. 

Until next week!

Hermana Dixon

No comments:

Post a Comment