Wednesday, July 2, 2014

ONE YEAR AGO . . .

Leaving the Argentina CCM

June 12, 2014

Hola familia!!

So this past week, I´ve been feeling pretty sentimental because my time here at the Argentina CCM is coming to a close.  How in the world did it go by so fast?  Anyway, I´ve been thinking a lot about what happened in my life one year ago and how it is affecting me today.

ONE YEAR AGO, I was a naive high school graduate who was preparing to start summer term at BYU.  I was so excited, but didn´t think I´d be able to survive without my family, Colorado friends, and the kids I nannied for.  Little did I know, going summer term would be one of the best decisions I had ever made because I learned how to be independent.  TODAY, I am a naive sister missionary who is preparing to leave the comfortable CCM for Uruguay.  Once again, I am so excited, but also scared out of my mind.  It´ll be hard to survive without Presidente and Hermana Willis, my CCM friends and teachers, and the awesome food here, but I know this is something I need to do because I will learn SO MANY lessons.

ONE YEAR AGO, I had the opportunity to live with roommates for the first time.  I had no idea what to expect with roomies, but I sure lucked out.  Each of the girls I lived with (Lexi, Mary, Kayla, Jana, Katherine, Blayr, Rachel, Jamie, Jessica, Ariel, Sloane, Kayla, Sierra, and Sage) taught me something new and served me in countless ways.  TODAY, I have the opportunity to be with not one, but TWO companions.  Hermana Schaeffer and Hermana Simmons are two of the most amazing people I know, and I will be eternally grateful for them because they´ve helped me start my mission off on a good foot! 

ONE YEAR AGO, I was with the fam and we got a phone call from Sister Lindsay Dixon.  She was getting ready to leave the Provo MTC for Lansing, Michigan, and I remember being SO PROUD of her and being in awe of how happy she sounded.  TODAY, I am looking forward to emailing or calling you guys as I leave the Argentina CCM for Montevideo, Uruguay.  I am humbled by your supportive emails and the fact that you guys are proud of me, and I´m starting to realize why Sister Dixon sounded so happy!  Being on a mission is hard, but so many times, I have felt indescribable joy.

Anyway, I guess what I´m trying to say is even if we don´t know what´s going to happen in a year, God does.  He puts specific experiences in our lives to prepare us.  If you had asked me a year ago what I´d be doing today, there is no way I would´ve guessed I´d be in South America learning Spanish, eating more meat than I have ever had in my entire life, developing a love for the people here, and trying a bit harder every day to hand everything over to Heavenly Father and Jesus Christ.  I leave for Uruguay early Tuesday morning, and I am so PUMPED!  And freaked out.  This past week at the CCM has honestly been so awesome, and I'm glad I've had the opportunity to finish on a good note here.  Here are a few quick highlights from my week:

·         The cook here who always says "siempre bien" is famous!!!  One night I was grabbing dinner, and he pulled out this huge photo album and showed me pictures of him with all these apostles.  He is honestly one of the coolest, most humble guys I´ve met!  

·         Hermana Schaeffer and I got a little bored one night, so we decided to arm wrestle.  Never in my life have I met someone who is so similar in strength.  After about five minutes of back and forth, she beat me, but I´m totally going to cream her next time.

·         Proselyting was so much better!!  We got to go to a new area and it was great.  I went with Hermana Bond in my district, and my companions went together.  It was hard being away from them, but Hermana Bond and I met lots of awesome people, including this old man named Luis.  Luis is a security guard and was standing outside of a hospital under construction.  We talked to him for a while, and he totally reminded me of a mixture of Coach Klatt (my terrific track coach) and Brother Tabor (he smelled exactly like Brother Tabor)!  But don´t worry, it´s not like I smelled him or anything, his cologne was just really strong.  He had the cutest, toothless dog, and we had lots of fun talking with him and petting his dog.  Anyway, I left him with a Libro de Mormon with my testimony in the cover.  At first, he didn´t want to take it because he thought I wanted money for it, but I told him it was "liberado" aka "freedom."  I think he got the point though!

·         My new Latina roomies are AWESOME!  Every night, we say "amigas por siempre," which means "friends forever."  They are hoots and they teach us lots of Spanish so it´s great!

·         Mom, those granola bars we bought have really come in handy!  We´ve been teaching lots of lessons on the Word of Wisdom to our investigators (who are really our teachers), and every time we leave, we give them a granola bar because they´re healthy!  Oh and funny story, one time, I was like, "Yeah you can eat graños!  They are healthy for your body!"  Really, the word for grains is granos, and graños means skulls, so that was pretty confusing for awhile.

I´ve got to go, but I LOVE YOU ALL!  Thank you for being the best, and just know I am excited for this new adventure!  Thank you for giving me the opportunity to serve a mission!

Hermana Dixon

No comments:

Post a Comment