Friday, October 31, 2014

Small and Simple Things

With Soledad and Maria (Walter and Silvana's daughters)
October 13, 2014

Hola familia!!!

So guess where I am right now???  In Montevideo!  I signed my visa papers today and I have the opportunity to spend the rest of my P-Day here.  It’s been so fun to walk around this big city and just look at all the buildings...it’s kind of like a mini New York!  One thing I’ve loved learning with Hermana Gordillo is we should always keep our eyes peeled for tender mercies.  This week, I would like to write about all the small and simple things that have brought about GREAT happiness in my life.
  • We’ve been running around a plaza near our house and it is so fun!  One morning this little dog ran with us and it was just so cute!
  • I’m not sure if I ever told you guys this...but we live pretty close to a cemetery!  There’s a worker we always see as we’re walking by named Ilda.  We had the chance to teach her a lesson, and afterwards, she took us on a tour of the cemetery.  It was so beautiful, and it made me think about Great Grandma and Grandpa Browning a lot.
  • Walter and Silvana’s wedding day was very fun!  We helped them set up for the reception for most of the morning and then got to see them sign all the wedding papers.  We are so happy for them, and it was fun to see a wedding in a different country.
  • There is the cutest lady in our ward named Hermana Mirta.  The past few weeks, I've noticed she always wears this little heart ring.  Yesterday after sacrament, I complimented her on her ring and guess what...she put it on my finger and told me it was mine!  It was honestly so sweet and a gift I will treasure forever.
  • Every time I tell people I’m from Colorado, they always say, "Oh, so you live by the Grand Canyon of Colorado???"  It just cracks me up because the Grand Canyon is in Arizona, right???  
  • Sweet Hermana Gordillo always leaves cute little sticky notes in hiding spots.  I’ll be reading the scriptures and I’ll turn the page and there’s a little note for me!  I've been trying to do the same for her, and this past week, I hid one in the lid of her lotion bottle.
  • Some of our investigators are really beginning to exercise more faith.  Jorge and Magela, whom Hermana McMurray and I met the day we went to the meat packing museum, are beginning to read and pray together as a couple.  They are just so cute and they gave us this apple jam stuff that is super yummy.  ALSO, we’ve been teaching a lady named Virginia.  She’s got four kids and her life is crazy busy.  But it’s awesome because every time we come back, she’s a little more relaxed and her house is a little more tranquil.  Little by little, she’s changing her life and home!
  • My ward is honestly SO NICE!!!  Hermana Gordillo and I left for Montevideo this morning around 2:45.  Last night around 9:20, as we were leaving a meeting with our ward mission leader, the elders asked if we had picked up our tickets.  We hadn’t, so we thought we’d have to walk twenty minutes to the terminal the next morning to pick them up even though there’s a bus stop super close to our house.  Our ward mission leader, another man in our ward, and the elders walked to the terminal for us and dropped the tickets off at our house last night.  If that wasn't enough, a ward member met us outside of our house this morning and waited at the stop with us until our bus came.  I was in awe of how considerate these ward members acted.  I am one lucky missionary to be serving in this ward!
So yeah, it’s been a good week! 

 I would also like to talk about one more tender mercy that is also really sad.  On Friday, I did divisions with Hermana Colwell and we stayed in my area.  Our first visit of the day was with this cute older lady in our ward named Hermana Wilma.  Her son, Aldo, happened to be visiting her, so we had the opportunity to teach Hermana Wilma AND him about the Book of Mormon.  Aldo was super receptive and especially loved the line in the “Introduction” that talks about how through the teachings of the Book of Mormon, we can find peace in this life.  Afterwards, Hermana Colwell and I both talked about how happy we were Aldo had been in the lesson as well because his answers to our questions really brought the Spirit.  On Sunday, Hermana Wilma`s grandson bore his testimony and mentioned that one of his uncles had died and that he was able to give his grandma a priesthood blessing of comfort.  It turns out Aldo was the one who passed away (he fell while working on Saturday).  I felt so sad, but I was also grateful for the chance I had to get to know him the day before and be touched by his spirit.  I know the Book of Mormon can help us find peace in this life and peace in the life to come as well.

I am grateful for the opportunity I have to be here and for all the amazing people I get to interact with on a daily basis.  I know this gospel is a gospel of happiness, and I hope you have a great week!  Also, I can’t believe we’re moving to Utah!!  I’m sad but I know it’ll be a fun adventure for our fam.

Love you all!

Hermana Dixon

No comments:

Post a Comment