Wednesday, October 29, 2014

Apellido

Covered in treats from Hermana Smith

September 23, 2014

Man oh man it’s been a great week here in Fray Bentos!  Hermana Gordillo is kind of like a Guatamalen version of me, so we are getting along really well!  And we’ve had a lot of cool experiences this past week!  Here are two experiences we had during Noche de Hogars (aka Family Home Evenings):

1) Last Monday, we had a Noche de Hogar with our bishop and his wife (Obispo Novelasco y Hermana Zulma...they are awesome).  We talked about the sweetness of the gospel (Lehi’s dream about the tree of life) and brought fruit candies!  Suddenly, the bishop’s son, daughter-in-law, and grandson showed up at their house.  They are not members, so it was a great opportunity to teach them about the gospel!

2) On Saturday, we had another Noche de Hogar!  We brought Finding Faith in Christ (https://www.lds.org/media-library/video/2004-01-01-finding-faith-in-christ?lang=eng) and some brownies.  But once we got to the family’s house, we had to wait a while for the mom to get home.  We realized we didn’t have enough time to show the DVD, so we did a fun object lesson!  The family lent us some mayonnaise...we cut two pieces of brownie.  One piece, we kept normal, and the other piece, we dumped mayonnaise over it.  We then asked everyone in the family which brownie they would want to eat.  Everyone chose the brownie without mayo, of course!  We related it to the Sabbath Day...mayo is super yummy with other foods like hamburgers, sandwiches, and rice (here people eat mayo with rice), but not with brownies.  Similarly, a lot of activities are super great during other days of the week, but they don’t work on Sundays.

Okay and now I’ll just tell you a bit about YESTERDAY!  Yesterday, we had interviews with president and he also taught us a lot about the doctrine of Christ.  Interviews with President Smith were a bit different this time...we talked with him a bit at the beginning like normal, but afterwards, he invited us to teach HIM the doctrine of Christ.  You can bet I was a bit nervous, but Presidente is super nice so it was fine!  While I was teaching him about the doctrine of Christ, I got the feeling I should talk about my apellido (my last name, DIXON)!  I hadn’t really thought about this until my time with Presidente, but as a missionary, I have two very important names on my tag:  my apellido and the name of Jesus Christ.  I talked about how right now, I’m super far from my family, but I’m doing my best to honor my last name by following what my family has taught me my whole life.  I never realized this before, but it’s the same with our Heavenly Father.  Right now, every single person living on the earth is far away from Father in Heaven.  But even though we’re far away, we can to our best to follow His teachings and the teachings of His son, Jesus Christ.  I am so grateful for the opportunity I have to represent two very important names here in Uruguay!  

I love you guys very much, and thank you for all you do for me!  Hasta proximo semana!

Hermana Dixon

No comments:

Post a Comment